Day 394 Namibia : Kongola - Rundu

Day 394 Namibia

Trip Distance 425km (264m) Total Distance 7022km(4364m)
Road Condition 90% tar 10% dirt, mostly soft sand  
Time to travel 4hr hours 45mins  
Cost of diesel N$7.69 (£0.69)    
Ngandu Lodge, Rundu S17 54.516 E19 46.499 N$150 (£13.50) - Problem at campsite but resolved amicably by owner.  Can't comment but has good reputation.  Grass sites with loads of shade, braai, tap and electricity for each site

As we'd mostly packed up Sully the day before, we didn't have much to do so we rose leisurely on our last day at Nambwe, enjoying the quiet of the early morning.  Finally though we had to get going, so with some effort, we finished packing and set off.  The 16kms of soft sand road back to the main road went quickly and with a last visit back to the Kongola Vet Fence to hand over our left over meat (with a promise form them to eat it, not to burn it), we set off towards Divundu.

But Divundu and the camps were all under water still and we would have had to park Sully up and cart all our kit over by boat to the camp, so we passed it by and went directly to Rundu on our way to Etosha National Park the next day.  Arriving in Rundu we checked out the campsites on the river but again, with so much rainfall in Angola, everything was still underwater and wouldn't have been a comfortable stay so we turned around and headed back for town to Ngandu Lodge.  On arrival it looked good with a restaurant, bar and pool.  So we decided to pay the N$150 and have ourselves a night off i.e. eat in the restaurant and do as little as possible.

The campsites were neat and clean and with some space between us and the next campers, it would have been extremely pleasant.  Suffice it to say, our stay was marred by a staff member kicking off in the middle of the night in a drug-induced hallucination.  Finally in desperation I charged down the ladder at around 3am (at this stage suitably attired!) to bellow at the man that we all didn't want to partake of his crap, so would he take it elsewhere.  He obligingly did, staggered off and the rest of the night passed peacefully.