Day 411 - 412 Botswana : Ghanzi - Kang

Day 411 Botswana

Trip Distance 307km (191m) Total Distance 10212km(6347m)
Road Condition 100% tar    
Time to travel 4.5hrs    
Cost of diesel P6.65(£0.64)    
Kang, Botswana
Kalahari Rest Camp S23 31.215 E22 36.583 P140 (£14) - Great showers, lovely sites, electricity when genny running only

We woke up still feeling pretty shattered from the previous day's l-o-n-g trip but we wanted to pushed on.  Although the showers were great (converted galvanized buckets with a shower head poking through) and there was plenty of hot water for both of us, the sites were a bit dry and dusty, so we packed up and left.

We were heading for the campsite designated on T4A in Kang but when we got there it was a petrol station with some chalets alongside and we were told "just find a spot between to camp".  It didn't look great and besides, it was the Super 14 final, we needed a TV to watch.  Having passed the Kalahari Rest Camp some 30kms back, we decided to turn around and head back there for the night.  It was a great idea as they had a restaurant and bar and, more importantly, a TV which would be tuned into rugby a bit later.

We found our site and while Trevor unpacked the tent, I tried to decide what to make for lunch.  We had managed to pick up some fresh bread, so what to have with it?  The warthog!  Seeing that Trevor had never had any before.  So I hauled out the fillets, sliced them into thickish medallions and fried them in some oil olive.  We'd have them plain and unadorned (just with some sea salt) so that we could get the true flavour.  Oh my god, we were in love with warthog.  He had not died in vain and was glorious, meltingly tender and so full of flavour - like aged pork.  YUM YUM.  With tummies full of an amazing lunch and having had a hot shower, we headed off to the bar to watch the rugby final.  It was a good match but with no Sharks to support lacked a little something for us!

Back at our camp, Trevor got the fire started, we threw in some potatoes and onions (we are ADDICTED to these!) and I prepared..... warthog again.  We had so enjoyed lunch, that I got out the sirloins that we had taken, cut these up into a few thick steaks and braaied them till they were just done.  Oh, just wanted to mention that this warthog was young (hence being soooooooo tender) but was not a huge boy so that sirloins and fillets were not the size of beef fillets or sirloin but much smaller!!!!  A meal from heaven.  As we sat, wrapped in our blankets in front of the leaping flames of a warming fire, under an incredibly clear sky so full of stars that it was difficult to pick out individual ones, we drank a toast and gave thanks.

Have I mentioned that it has been getting progressively colder as we enter winter in the southern hemisphere?  With our sub-zero sleeping bags out, thermal jim-jams on, we added our blankets on top and were warm and snuggy as we slept.

We woke to a new day and a new challenge.  We had been talking about staying for a few days as the owner had said that he would take Trevor hunting for a springbok.  Our idea was to take the meat we could fit into our freezer, ask the owner to freeze the rest and take it down to Gaborone to donate to the SOS Childrens Village there.  Fate stepped in, as she often does, unexpectedly at times.  Sully had been over-due a service so to compensate, Trevor decided to do a cursory check over her in preparation of a service in Gaborone.  Disaster!  She had enter the realms of a grown up Land Rover and developed an oil leak...... No!  So after cleaning everything off and spending some time peering closely at Sully's undercarriage, Trevor discovered that it was the transfer box that was leaking.  "Bother" was not the word that I heard coming out from under the car!  An expensive problem to fix but in the meantime how do we sort it for long enough to get to Gaborone now about 450kms and another longish day's drive away?  Without oil in the transfer box we were in danger of creating all sorts of major issues with other expensive parts.  So after a cup of restorative tea, a biscuit and a chat, we decided to leave the following day, not before topping up the transfer box with the 1l of transfer box oil that we had been carrying in the spares kit.  Hunting for Trevor would have to wait again as this problem took priority and needed to be resolved and fixed in a hurry.

We settled in for the afternoon pottering around, packing Sully up as much as we could and decided that we would cook another piece of warthog for supper (too much of a good thing, I can hear you thinking?  Not a chance!).  This time we pot-roasted a small piece of rump/leg in red wine, veggies and potatoes in our dutch oven (cast iron pot) over the fire and it was just as delicious as the previous meals.  We rolled into bed ready to get up early the next morning for final packing and making our way slowly to Gaborone.